The Biodynamic Federation – Demeter International e.V. is the only organic association that has built up a network of individual certification for biodynamic farming worldwide. The Federation supports the registration and protection of the Demeter trademark, produces production, processing and labelling standards, and the development of biodynamic agriculture throughout the world. The Biodynamic Federation is a not for profit member-based organisation with 45 members in 36 different countries. The Demeter brand is represented by more than 6.500 farmers with more than 220.000 hectares in 65 countries on all continents.
1. The Demeter brand
The Demeter brand is a global movement of farmers, manufacturers, and researchers that practice and value biodynamic farming methods. As a community we have developed common standards together. For people to recognise our high organic quality products from biodynamic agriculture we label them with the Demeter logo, guaranteeing the Standard.
Demeter is the oldest organic growers’ association with the highest standards. For many decades, its agricultural principles and methods might have appeared to be unnecessarily high, but due to the climate crisis and a growing ecological awareness, many people are looking more closely at where their food comes from.
2. The major activities and services of the Biodynamic Federation:
- Support of research activities
- Training services for farmers, advisors, certifiers, inspectors
- Protective administration for the trademarks Biodynamic® and Demeter®
- Certification of farms, processors, and traders to the International Demeter Biodynamic Standard
- Information and promotion to raise awareness for the Demeter trademark and the details about biodynamic farming methods
- Marketing support for Demeter certified products from biodynamic agriculture
- Lobbying for better, sustainable, legal frameworks for farmers and consumers
- Support for new initiatives founding biodynamic organisations
Co-operation on an international level is a challenging, but mutually enriching, task. The Biodynamic Federation is a contemporary example of co-operation based on commitment, transparency and regional independence.
More information on our website: www.demeter.net